A National Lottery grant of £500,000 from Sport Scotland helped to fund major new facilities at the centre, which include two indoor courts with international-tournament-standard lighting and two outdoor traditional clay courts. The improvements go beyond simply providing extra space, however: their main purpose is to enhance performance, with, for example, state-of-the-art low-level mobile cameras that can record individual players’ movements for use with technical analysis software.
The Chief Executive of governing body Tennis Scotland, said that the centre ‘will become a central training resource, a home base for our players on the tour and a performance centre. Players can also enjoy the benefit of superb support facilities including sports sciences and a state-of-the-art fitness centre, creating what is, in effect, a sports village.’
The centre builds on the University of Stirling’s existing reputation for sporting excellence and in particular its commitment to young tennis players: it has run an international sports scholarship programme here for more than 25 years. The young Andy Murray is one of many to have cut his teeth here, and it is hoped that his success will encourage others to join in the game. The National Lottery grant has also funded new permanent office space for Tennis Scotland staff, so that coaches will be consistently on hand to foster young talent and provide the necessary motivation to create the champions of tomorrow.
- And for the Open Women’s Singles quarter finals... 🎾 see you tomorrow for the semis and finals! #TSNC2018 t.co/LETNs0WDbg
- Day two draws to a close at Craiglockhart for the Scottish National Championships. Here are the results of the Open… t.co/yEh3zXT4vQ
- The lineup for today’s Open Womens Singles. Head along to Craiglockhart Tennis Centre now - see you soon! #TSNC2018 t.co/wFLjjF8pUn
- Here’s the Open Mens Singles lineup for today. 🎾 #TSNC2018 t.co/OuZBG2CMQT
- That's a wrap of day one at the Tennis Scotland National Championships. Mackinlay/Young and McGinn/Rosenzweig are i… t.co/e7jY2BCx5h