Future 4 Me is a project run by the charity, 1625 Independent People in Bristol. Since its launch in 2012, the project has helped 365 young people identified by local Youth Offending and Leaving Care teams as being at high risk of becoming homeless and being excluded from education and employment.
These young people often lack a family to return to and all have needed to live independently at a very young age. Without the project’s support these young people would struggle to get safe accommodation. A team of six youth workers ensures that every young person has a trusted adult offering the encouragement they need.
Skills for Care, the national body responsible for raising standards in care work, has highlighted Future 4 Me as a great example of how ‘psychologically informed’ approaches can improve young people’s wellbeing.
Sophia, whose father died when she was 13, was placed in care and after spending some time in a Youth Offenders Institution, she was referred to Future 4 Me. Sophia received education and employment support and was placed in lodgings which helped her feel more secure about her future.
During the two years Sophia was supported by the project, she completed a college course in business administration and was assigned a mentor for sports-based activities. Sophia is now employed by North Somerset Council, helping to design services and courses to improve the lives of young people.
Vote for this project for an award
- Want a job where you can really make a difference for #youngpeople? We're looking for a #Future4Me Project Worker t… t.co/J5MO8wiEsM
- Great interviews on @onelovebrekky this morning with @WoodDom and some of our amazing sleepers at last night's… t.co/TbcZKHVZuN
- #Bristol #PR #Comms #job in a superb #youngpeople's charity @1625ip. Lovely people, great cause, groundbreaking wor… t.co/SGlycGExIv
- Our CEO @1625ip was up at 6.50am this morning talking to @bbcrb about why he & members of the local community slept… t.co/qJMS8IWEI6
- Our Tenancy Impact Officer Bill was sleeping out last night for @1625ip, she'll be catching up on some zzz's this a… t.co/GL0KPKN8UD