Future 4 Me is a project run by the charity, 1625 Independent People in Bristol. Since its launch in 2012, the project has helped 365 young people identified by local Youth Offending and Leaving Care teams as being at high risk of becoming homeless and being excluded from education and employment.
These young people often lack a family to return to and all have needed to live independently at a very young age. Without the project’s support these young people would struggle to get safe accommodation. A team of six youth workers ensures that every young person has a trusted adult offering the encouragement they need.
Skills for Care, the national body responsible for raising standards in care work, has highlighted Future 4 Me as a great example of how ‘psychologically informed’ approaches can improve young people’s wellbeing.
Sophia, whose father died when she was 13, was placed in care and after spending some time in a Youth Offenders Institution, she was referred to Future 4 Me. Sophia received education and employment support and was placed in lodgings which helped her feel more secure about her future.
During the two years Sophia was supported by the project, she completed a college course in business administration and was assigned a mentor for sports-based activities. Sophia is now employed by North Somerset Council, helping to design services and courses to improve the lives of young people.
- In anticipation of (AND HUGE EXCITEMENT) #BristolPride tomorrow, we're giving you a sneak peak from our rebranded m… t.co/veugNkZe8h
- We're sorry to see Laura go to! We're really lucky to have some amazing people work for us♥️ If anyone wants to wo… t.co/aJQi48Gj9L
- APPLY NOW! Brilliant opportunity to work with #YoungPeople, advising them, journeying with them & getting them on t… t.co/IDzYHqkRxl
- "Together we can change the world, just one random act of kindness at a time." - Rob Hall #ThursdayThoughts… t.co/sVHzhr4gAK
- #BristolPride + @1625ip = an amazing day. We're going to be there, at the Millenium Square, lots of #fun &… t.co/uDAy2AKxz8