The BFI is the lead body for film in the UK tasked with creating a flourishing film environment in which innovation, opportunity and creativity thrive.
54 stars of the future premiere their short films at BFI Southbank
Fifty-four of the most promising young film talent from all over England gather at BFI Southbank to graduate from the first ever BFI Film Academy residential programme with the National Film and Television School (NFTS), aimed at hothousing the filmmaking stars of the future.Read more
The British Film Institute (BFI) awards National Lottery funding to support UK film production, distribution, education, audience development and market research.
The BFI was created in 1933 with a mission to ‘encourage the development of the arts of film, television and the moving image throughout the United Kingdom, to promote their use as a record of contemporary life and manners, to promote education about film, television and the moving image generally, and their impact on society, to promote access to and appreciation of the widest possible range of British and world cinema and to establish, care for and develop collections reflecting the moving image history and heritage of the United Kingdom.’
Today, as well as distributing valuable Lottery money to projects that will improve the UK film and television industry, the BFI is responsible for several cinema and exhibition venues, as well as the world’s largest film and moving image archive; the BFI National Archive and the BFI Reuben Library, which houses a huge collection of books, journals, documents and audio recordings about the world of film and television.
To find out more about the BFI visit their website.
- Working with @BFI, showcasing shorts from the #FutureFilmFestival 2016. Late night Sunday, sorted. 12:45am t.co/7GEmoBOoiN
- It’s time to explore what makes Romanian films so special t.co/vXrEKuHwuX t.co/E9mlde7kQb
- They came from the skies: Earth invasion, Edwardian style - The Airship Destroyer t.co/WQcvfsC6Vj #BFIPlayer t.co/TtiKyyyKxQ
- Sideways (2004, Dir. Alexander Payne) #NationalWineDay t.co/rt6QpsuhIV
- Don’t miss this extraordinary spiritual journey through the heart of the Colombian Amazon t.co/dPSkhZVmnr t.co/j3JMl1wzLt