The building now occupied by Arthur’s Gym in Rhydyfelin was once a derelict eyesore. Thanks to National Lottery funding it has become a thriving community gym and a force for positive change in an area known for its problems with anti-social behaviour and petty crime.
Set up by Commonwealth gold medallist boxer, Jamie Arthur, the Gym is helping to improve the health of community members through boxing and exercise classes, nutrition and lifestyle advice. Jamie said: “We have helped young people in the area develop their boxing talent while teaching them discipline and respect. We offer an alternative to hanging around on the streets which has helped reduce crime and anti-social behaviour in the area.”
Arthur’s Gym is turning lives around. After Robbie was discharged from the army for medical reasons, he found himself back on the streets of Rhydyfelin, unemployed, drinking and abusing drugs. Learning to box and working out at Arthur’s Gym has improved more than his fitness. It has given him the confidence and motivation to get his life back on track and he is now the 2013 Welsh Amateur Boxing Champion. He is also working towards setting up his own business as a personal trainer.
Robbie said: “Jamie has taught me manners, self-belief and how to have confidence to speak to anyone – I have a stutter when I’m nervous but it rarely happens anymore. I would honestly say in the nine months I have been with Arthur’s Gym I have become a better person.”
- Nearly time to hit Arthur's gym, amateur boxers 5 pm senior boxers 6 pm and technical boxers 730, let's has a big session
- Time to get the blood pumping and head to Arthur's gym to train the team for fight night then busy day ahead but no matter as sun is out
- Good sunday session @ArthursBoxing with @david_white1975 @bradleypryce @kylekingfitness @WelshRicky all ready to bring home wins for jamie
- What an amazing day, circuit running @ArthursBoxing few hours out with family and dogs then back to gym & 6 with the boys to finish week off
- Boxers weighed in for the welsh champs today, as expected it's not an easy year with the games just around the corner so expecting fireworks