The Auld Reekie Roller Girls are fearless, formidable athletes who work together to better their league and compete at the highest international levels. Through intensive training, coaching and by encouraging hundreds of women to participate and excel in their sport, members better themselves physically and mentally.
The "Skate Skills 101" programme takes new skaters from their first nervous strides to a full understanding of the sport of roller derby. On signing up, participants are encouraged to have their own equipment - something that can be a barrier to entering the sport. With National Lottery funding, the club have been able to offer free kit on loan to at least 20 skaters.
One of the team's newest recruits, Rhona, says: "I sheepishly walked into a room of strangers for a roller derby taster session last December, fully prepared to fail miserably. I was no picture of elegance on skates but by the end of the session I felt bloody awesome.
"Following the taster session I looked into how I could join Skate Skills and be on my way to becoming a kickass derby queen, but was concerned how I would manage financially.
"Thinking about buying kit for a sport that could end up like all of my other fitness endeavours (failures) was daunting. But then I found out about the loaner kits. Now I had no excuses.
"Over the weeks I have become a red faced, out of breath, sweaty, helmet-hair wearing skater. Roller derby has changed my attitude towards how I feel about my body and what it can do."
- Bonnie Burrito van confirmed for Sunday's games! This is not a drill! Advance tickets here: t.co/TueZPQV8IF… t.co/ymUXCCz3V5
- Next home game is THIS SUNDAY: Come watch ARRG All Stars vs. @middlesbroughRD, plus our All Star Rookies vs. a smas… t.co/wZz42m51L2
- We held our @LEAPsports taster day on Sunday and everyone absolutely smashed it! If you fancy roller derby but want… t.co/ydjJKaDDBN
- Final score! Good job @NorfolkRDerby 😊 @BritChampsLIVE t.co/0LbSw31AOK
- Um, is Khilleesi an actual dragon? Because she seems to be able to fly