BALTIC began life as a derelict flour mill on the banks of the River Tyne. Thanks to National Lottery funding it is now an international centre for contemporary art, and one of the North East's most popular tourist attractions.
BALTIC started life as a derelict flour mill on the banks of the River Tyne in Gateshead. Thanks to National Lottery funding it was transformed into one of the world’s largest contemporary art spaces, and this year celebrated its tenth birthday having welcomed more than 4.5 million visitors through its doors – an incredible feat.
Through ambitious and distinctive presentation, commissioning, development and communication of contemporary visual art, BALTIC presents a dynamic programme of exhibitions across four gallery spaces. The centre is a world leader in presenting a diverse, international programme of contemporary visual art and it is unique in having no permanent exhibitions. BALTIC is a place where visitors can come again and again to experience innovative and provocative new art, relax, have fun, learn and discover fresh ideas.
BALTIC exists to enrich people’s lives with a programme that deepens their knowledge, understanding and love of contemporary visual art while increasing and broadening its impact. Complementing the exhibitions, BALTIC presents an extensive education programme which offers formal and informal learning opportunities from pre-school to Phd level, engaging with thousands of children, students and adults every year. In 2012 alone more than 24,000 children and their families have taken part in BALTIC’s family learning programme - 15,000 pupils took part in creative workshops and 24,000 adults engaged in research, public talks and seminars.
Located in one of the country’s most deprived areas, BALTIC has also played a major part in regeneration of the Newcastle and Gateshead, boosting tourism and positively shaping local identity.
BALTIC won Best Arts Project in the 2012 National Lottery Awards.
Are you associated with this project and wish to give us more info? Please get in touch
- Head to the @balticmill on 24 April for #TARR, readings by visual artists who are also writers t.co/CqevQGobed
- Nina Canell's exhibition Near Here opens this Friday 18 April on Level 2. Join us at the gallery from 10.00 throughout the Easter weekend.
- BALTIC presents contemporary dance piece Fictional copies this Fri/Sat. Use code FCOPIES on checkout for 50% discount t.co/uHBFTItq9b
- Join us @balticmill, Sun 27 Apr at 12.00 for our Wedding Showcase. Meet the team, amazing suppliers, goodie bags & fashion show #NEweddings
- Pst! join us Fri 25 Apr for Members Taster Evening.Share a drink w/ Director & hear about Members scheme t.co/5ladyWR3BL #nefollowers