BALTIC started life as a derelict flour mill on the banks of the River Tyne in Gateshead. Thanks to National Lottery funding it was transformed into one of the world’s largest contemporary art spaces, and this year celebrated its tenth birthday having welcomed more than 4.5 million visitors through its doors – an incredible feat.
Through ambitious and distinctive presentation, commissioning, development and communication of contemporary visual art, BALTIC presents a dynamic programme of exhibitions across four gallery spaces. The centre is a world leader in presenting a diverse, international programme of contemporary visual art and it is unique in having no permanent exhibitions. BALTIC is a place where visitors can come again and again to experience innovative and provocative new art, relax, have fun, learn and discover fresh ideas.
BALTIC exists to enrich people’s lives with a programme that deepens their knowledge, understanding and love of contemporary visual art while increasing and broadening its impact. Complementing the exhibitions, BALTIC presents an extensive education programme which offers formal and informal learning opportunities from pre-school to Phd level, engaging with thousands of children, students and adults every year. In 2012 alone more than 24,000 children and their families have taken part in BALTIC’s family learning programme - 15,000 pupils took part in creative workshops and 24,000 adults engaged in research, public talks and seminars.
Located in one of the country’s most deprived areas, BALTIC has also played a major part in regeneration of the Newcastle and Gateshead, boosting tourism and positively shaping local identity.
BALTIC won Best Arts Project in the 2012 National Lottery Awards.
Are you associated with this project and wish to give us more info? Please get in touch
- B.Wurtz' show @balticmill has been selected as one of the best shows of 2016 @artforum - Now on @LaCasaEncendida in… t.co/Mt30Vj7rBE
- We ❤️️the WI and our city. Fabulous afternoon tea at SIX @balticmill for our final WI gathering of 2016. Thank you… t.co/JyhRjv9Jqz
- Win @balticshop gifts with their #12daysofChristmas competition. Guess the wrapped gift to win the prize. Enter her… t.co/pnvte2pgEZ
- .@balticshop presents 3 Christmas gifts for people that love their smart phones. Read more: t.co/OFCTW1eJoe… t.co/hhEj2aI04n
- Wall maker: Monica Bonvicini delves into architectural divisions t.co/DGIhBgTH9I via @wallpapermag t.co/OBG2kxTUp7