Children’s theatre company Cahoots has a simple but very effective aim: to provide theatre for children of the same high quality as that produced for adults. Several Lottery grants have helped the company achieve its ambition, providing shows and workshops to children around Belfast.
Today, Cahoots writes, develops and performs children’s shows in venues around the country.As well as putting on performances for young people, Cahoots holds workshops, often taking theatre to those who may not be able to access it easily, such as students with special educational needs and children in hospitals and hospices . It also takes theatre into schools, making it part of the curriculum. The programme Lights, Camera, Math-a-Magic aims to get children excited about maths by using magic tricks.
“Children are not just the audience of the future. They are the audience right now,” says the company's Founder. “Before we started in 2001, the only professional theatre for children was at panto season.”
- One week to apply for our Research and Evaluation Consultant role! We're on the hunt for an experienced researcher/… t.co/iTo1Nzss3X
- @CahootsNI @uk_theatre @BirminghamRep Ahhh #Penguins so beautiful caught it @TheDukesTheatre
- Big congrats to @BirminghamRep, co-producers of the #Penguinstour, on their recognition for Promotion of Diversity… t.co/kyRbkAyW1g
- Under The Hawthorn Tree 27 Sept - 7 Oct Follow 3 brave children on their journey of survival during the Irish Pota… t.co/EkVss1ajAi
- Psst...We are very close to 2000 likes on Facebook!! If we aren't already friends, come say hi 👋 #FridayFeeling