Community Fridges are filled with surplus food from businesses, traders and individuals for communities to access free of charge. The idea has rapidly taken-off and there are now over 30 registered fridges stretching from Glasgow to Bournemouth. The ambition is that Community Fridges will help reduce the amount of food discarded annually.
Anyone from businesses to allotment gardeners can leave food in the Community Fridges which are based in public spaces, such as community centres. On average, 90 per cent of donations are from businesses. Volunteers log food, ensuring that safety standards are met and that a record is kept of the amount redistributed free of charge to people who need it.
On average, fridges are redistributing more than half a tonne of food per month, mostly to people who are struggling to make ends meet. Some urban fridges are redistributing up to two tonnes a month, with 35 visitors a day.
The Community Fridge Network is supported by the charity Hubbub. This has seen the provision of free or discounted appliances from companies such as Bosch, has arranged for food to be provided from companies such as Sainsbury’s and Morrisons, has ensured fridges comply with safety requirements and has supported local promotional activities.
Hubbub CEO Trewin Restorick says: "It's astonishing that so much edible food ends up in the bin. A Community Fridge is such a simple way to make sure healthy, perishable food gets put to good use and it serves a much wider role in bringing communities together."
For more information about Community Fridge Network visit the website.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch
- Head over to our Instagram this afternoon at 4pm where we'll be answering all of your questions about the recent WW… t.co/ycGODBp5yQ
- Another playful design that has been popular with pundits is the plastic fishing boat - Polymer 🚣. Made from 99% re… t.co/IDi5UAKFKK
- To make our campaigns accessible we use everyday language, no jargon. We created #TapChat to better understand ever… t.co/o7GFYfKqvM
- Playful and bold design is central to all our campaigns. The concept of our cigarette ballot bin came from insight… t.co/b7dRANrgWA
- We're celebrating our fourth birthday! 🎉💃 Beginning with a mere £25,000 grant we've won 14 awards for our campaigns… t.co/MIkzUm0gz4