Disability Sport Wales has changed the lives of disabled people across Wales by creating over 1 million sporting opportunities for disabled children and adults.
Over £5 million of National Lottery funding has allowed Disability Sport Wales to create ten times as many opportunities for disabled people to participate in sport across Wales.
Twelve years ago just 31 clubs across Wales offered opportunities for disabled people to engage with sport in their local area. In 2001 there were merely 1,200 recorded opportunities for disabled people participating in sport. Thanks to the Lottery Funded Disability Sport Wales Community Programme, there were over 1 million opportunities in 2012, and those 31 sports clubs grew to 331 in 2012.
Lottery Funding has paid for the training and salaries of the hard working and committed Development Officers who run the project at each local Authorities across Wales.
Sport can increase confidence, skills and fitness, and Disability Sport Wales’ Academy programme also spots the potential stars of the future. Aled Sion Davies was fast-tracked into the programme aged 14, developed by top coaches, and has gone on to represent Wales around the world, taking the bronze in shot putt and the gold in discus at the London 2012 Paralympic Games.
Now recognised with an MBE at the age of 22, Aled said: “Disability Sport Wales has provided me with opportunities I could never have dreamt of. Their continued investment and support is second to none – they have helped my dreams become a reality.”
- If you enjoyed the last insport series event then don’t miss out on our next one! Come and join us at deeside leisu… t.co/SspRGUu9yY
- As Wales celebrates the homecoming of our incredible Commonwealth Games #TeamWales athletes this evening, we are wo… t.co/puzPUKMJtd
- 3/5 of our medalists together this evening at the @TeamWales homecoming event 🏴🥈🥈🥈🥈 #GC2018 t.co/4v0RPmlZ7c
- Ymwybyddiaeth o anabledd dysgu, cyfle gwych i weithwyr iechyd @BCUHB Do consider becoming a Learning Disability cha… t.co/qZ7kL4mWkj
- Tomorrow we’re changing our name! You’ll see a number of changes throughout the coming days. Don’t worry- we’re the… t.co/NsyAc1K5aU