The aim of this project is to give children and adults with disabilities regular sailing opportunities helping to improve their confidence, independence and community involvement. Since 1997, the East Anglian Sailing Trust (EAST) has built up a team of more than 100 volunteers and a fleet of 14 boats at its base at Suffolk Yacht Harbour. The charity also provides sailing cruises each year for blind adults from all over the UK and beyond, on yachts fitted with special talking charts and instrumentation provided by EAST members.
On dry land, the National Lottery funded Waterside Community Centre provides a range of events including curry nights, barbecues and regular boat maintenance to help members connect with the sailing community. EAST has been recognised as a 'Sailability Centre of Excellence' as a result of their fantastic work.
Emily Yates, a disability advocate, travel writer and presenter, has been involved in EAST events and said: "I'm a huge supporter of anything that offers opportunities and support for those with disabilities but EAST provides that little bit extra. Firstly, the idea of being able to sail independently and with freedom is rare for many with additional needs, but EAST makes it possible. Furthermore, EAST is supported by so many amazing volunteers, including some who have disabilities themselves. The whole EAST experience encourages a warm community of knowledgeable people."
All of EAST's work is done without any paid staff thanks to the support of the National Lottery, local clubs, organisations and EAST's dedicated team of volunteers.
For more information about EAST visit the website.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch
- Thank-you to all our wonderful volunteers who attended our RYA disability awareness course today. Your work to make… t.co/wi7z1bhE42
- Save the Date!!! More details on the guided walks to follow :) P.S: Does anyone know of a good BSL interpreter to r… t.co/IEEGnRlaye
- Get #OnBoard with sailing, hear from Stan how sailing and windsurfing can teach valuable life skills such as creati… t.co/wREN0CRqim
- Learn more about RYA Powerability, helping disabled boaters to gain RYA recognised powerboat training and certifica… t.co/J1bT6W5of1
- Kick off 2019 with an adventure to remember! We are offering up to £150 bursary for our New Year Adventure voyage f… t.co/b9tQCaI9um