The aim of this project is to give children and adults with disabilities regular sailing opportunities helping to improve their confidence, independence and community involvement. Since 1997, the East Anglian Sailing Trust (EAST) has built up a team of more than 100 volunteers and a fleet of 14 boats at its base at Suffolk Yacht Harbour. The charity also provides sailing cruises each year for blind adults from all over the UK and beyond, on yachts fitted with special talking charts and instrumentation provided by EAST members.
On dry land, the National Lottery funded Waterside Community Centre provides a range of events including curry nights, barbecues and regular boat maintenance to help members connect with the sailing community. EAST has been recognised as a 'Sailability Centre of Excellence' as a result of their fantastic work.
Emily Yates, a disability advocate, travel writer and presenter, has been involved in EAST events and said: "I'm a huge supporter of anything that offers opportunities and support for those with disabilities but EAST provides that little bit extra. Firstly, the idea of being able to sail independently and with freedom is rare for many with additional needs, but EAST makes it possible. Furthermore, EAST is supported by so many amazing volunteers, including some who have disabilities themselves. The whole EAST experience encourages a warm community of knowledgeable people."
All of EAST's work is done without any paid staff thanks to the support of the National Lottery, local clubs, organisations and EAST's dedicated team of volunteers.
For more information about EAST visit the website.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch
- For a copy of the rules, membership forms and standing order request please contact email@example.com.
- Exciting news! We have decided to form a “100 Club” to help cover our running costs. Members of EAST can join, with… t.co/00NGpPYeQs
- We had a wonderful night of good food and great company at our Volunteer Evening last Saturday. Thank-you to all… t.co/ub8IK0LaJq
- All welcome to attend our first Memories Café at #Suffolk Record Office @KeyToThePast on Sat, 1st of Dec (see flyer… t.co/rLCOGhDojN
- Tomorrow is the last day of voting!!! Please vote for us to receive a donation from the Aviva Community Fund. Ever… t.co/IvNVokcFr6