The project was led by playwright Linda Brogan who first visited the Reno over four decades ago aged 16-years-old.
"The Reno was a cellar club in Moss Side. Heyday 1971 to 1981. Soundtrack, imported soul and funk. Predominantly populated by 50s born 'half-caste' stigmatised by the 1930 Fletcher Report: Offspring of interracial alliances suffer inherent physical and mental defects. Demolished 1987. Crossing the poppy filled site, I sat to remember our civilisation, black market, social structure, king and queen, all frustrated artists. A play couldn’t capture the nuances.
"Instead, in 2016, I filmed Reno memoirs. Blacks and whites talk about the music and dancing. We talk about our mums' family excommunication for shagging a darkie; not knowing her family; being spat at in our pram; mum's roast - dad's yam; the clash of cultures told hilariously at times; the Reno's wall-to-wall 'half-caste' being our true family. Where we strutted our stuff in our theatre. Like we were somebody. October 2017, we excavated the Reno with Salford University Archaeology. Over 3 weeks every brick, bottle, tile, crisp packet was charged with our saga. Finished, we professionally lit its beautiful remains. Held a marquee covered all-night party on site. And buried a time capsule at its heart. November 1500 colonised the Whitworth Art Gallery. Obliterated their art with our memoirs, exhibited our artefacts in their museum cases, and danced to Reno DJs in their main hall."
This and other stories have been archived with photos, videos and memorabilia on the project website www.thereno.live.
To vote for Excavating The Reno by telephone, please call 0844 836 9699 - Telephone voting calls cost 5p max. A connection charge may be applied by some networks. Please check with your provider.
- @LucyMPowell @LucyMPowell can I be cheeky and ask you to copy original wonderful endorsement above add #NLATheReno… t.co/6KxaNW18pj
- @LucyMPowell #NLATheReno Thank you.
- @emilyrowles @MahdiTaarwale received fabulous tweet from @LucyMPowell thanks to your efforts. So grateful. Feeling… t.co/Di9lmvyaUD
- @LucyMPowell's endorsement is wonderful in our Moss Side MCR campaign for #NLATheReno to win #NLAwards. Please RT t… t.co/k15dosF56F
- @LucyMPowell Oh also can you always include #NLATheReno our unique hashtag in future tweets. Everyone who retweets… t.co/a1AGrraIgJ