The Future 4 Me project, run by the charity 1625 Independent People, supports some of the most vulnerable children and young people in the West of England
16–21 year olds leaving care and custody are at the highest risk of homelessness and social exclusion. Since 2012 the project, run by the charity 1625 Independent People, has helped 365 young people to make the transition from “looked after” to independent.
These young people have learned to survive at a very young age and often lack a stable family network. The project’s unique approach is to “walk with them” through their transitions into adulthood.
A team of six experienced youth workers provide each young person with a dedicated trusted adult – someone who is “there” for them.
Skills for Care, the national body responsible for raising standards in care work, highlighted Future 4 Me as a great example of how ‘psychologically informed’ approaches can improve young people’s wellbeing.
Sophia was placed in care following a parental bereavement. It was an emotional and traumatic experience. It disrupted her childhood and eroded her self-confidence, she got into trouble and her education was suffering. At 17, she was preparing to leave care and connected with Future 4 Me. Their priorities were making sure she had a safe, stable place to live, avoiding negative influences, rebuilding her confidence and getting her back into education.
During her two years with Future 4 Me Sophia completely rebooted her life, achieved a qualification and is now employed by North Somerset Council, helping to design services and courses to improve the lives of other young people.
- @TheRestoreTrust @BristolCouncil @AshleyCHousing Thanks for getting in touch - if any opportunities come up we will… t.co/Fp29R7wrlQ
- The @fightforpeace boxing club that helps with homework, offers work programmes, supports ex-gang members AND nurtu… t.co/MWuq6YVGwC
- Can we ask 'why' when we see a young person on the streets & understand they have a story? Read more on the "'demo… t.co/F4WqQgfZsK
- We love #partnership. Great, good and sustainable change only happens when we stand #together.… t.co/yP9Vha5QZx
- Are you 16-25 and worried about your housing? Come and drop in anytime today from 1-5pm! #Notjustaroof #findahome