The Future 4 Me project, run by the charity 1625 Independent People, supports some of the most vulnerable children and young people in the West of England
16–21 year olds leaving care and custody are at the highest risk of homelessness and social exclusion. Since 2012 the project, run by the charity 1625 Independent People, has helped 365 young people to make the transition from “looked after” to independent.
These young people have learned to survive at a very young age and often lack a stable family network. The project’s unique approach is to “walk with them” through their transitions into adulthood.
A team of six experienced youth workers provide each young person with a dedicated trusted adult – someone who is “there” for them.
Skills for Care, the national body responsible for raising standards in care work, highlighted Future 4 Me as a great example of how ‘psychologically informed’ approaches can improve young people’s wellbeing.
Sophia was placed in care following a parental bereavement. It was an emotional and traumatic experience. It disrupted her childhood and eroded her self-confidence, she got into trouble and her education was suffering. At 17, she was preparing to leave care and connected with Future 4 Me. Their priorities were making sure she had a safe, stable place to live, avoiding negative influences, rebuilding her confidence and getting her back into education.
During her two years with Future 4 Me Sophia completely rebooted her life, achieved a qualification and is now employed by North Somerset Council, helping to design services and courses to improve the lives of other young people.
- Inspiring day with the @EYH_UK partnership yesterday @CharityTBF @centrepointuk @StBasilsCharity @RockTrust_tweet @RoundaboutSheff @1625ip
- Hey @galdemzine, check out our interview with editor @oliviaslittle. All about inspiring #youngpeople @1625ip t.co/FjusDeIMqD
- New confidence boosting issue of @1625ip #ipeople - have a read & get inspired t.co/FjusDerbz5 #1625ipdaily t.co/iAzEv87lXf
- SPOTTED: Awesome @OVOEnergy crew fundraising for our Future Builders project! Now recruiting t.co/M3Z8mOYl4d t.co/oQEStkvA02
- Good meeting today with @EYH_UK partner charities inc @centrepointuk @StBasilsCharity @RockTrust_tweet @RoundaboutSheff @1625ip @SSJCharity