The Future 4 Me project, run by the charity 1625 Independent People, supports some of the most vulnerable children and young people in the West of England
16–21 year olds leaving care and custody are at the highest risk of homelessness and social exclusion. Since 2012 the project, run by the charity 1625 Independent People, has helped 365 young people to make the transition from “looked after” to independent.
These young people have learned to survive at a very young age and often lack a stable family network. The project’s unique approach is to “walk with them” through their transitions into adulthood.
A team of six experienced youth workers provide each young person with a dedicated trusted adult – someone who is “there” for them.
Skills for Care, the national body responsible for raising standards in care work, highlighted Future 4 Me as a great example of how ‘psychologically informed’ approaches can improve young people’s wellbeing.
Sophia was placed in care following a parental bereavement. It was an emotional and traumatic experience. It disrupted her childhood and eroded her self-confidence, she got into trouble and her education was suffering. At 17, she was preparing to leave care and connected with Future 4 Me. Their priorities were making sure she had a safe, stable place to live, avoiding negative influences, rebuilding her confidence and getting her back into education.
During her two years with Future 4 Me Sophia completely rebooted her life, achieved a qualification and is now employed by North Somerset Council, helping to design services and courses to improve the lives of other young people.
- Our friends at @TheBristolCable are running a free course in journalism, it's open to anyone! apply here: t.co/coJEO0aedP
- Great to see so many students @UWEVolunteering fair. If you're on campus come & ask us about #volunteering @1625ip. Here 'til 3 #1625ipdaily
- Are you interested in #politics #mentalhealth and #Bristol? Check out this event as part of @_FreedomofMind pls RT t.co/l3l98rb1Rt
- Want to know more about what we do @1625ip & why we do it? Sign up for our free quarterly #ipeople mag t.co/NYYcEc4RJe #1625ipdaily
- New creative course for girls - design and laser cut your own (free) board! Starts 28th Sept t.co/GYitZE8pz1 t.co/kZH02J0ZY3