The Future 4 Me project, run by the charity 1625 Independent People, supports some of the most vulnerable children and young people in the West of England
16–21 year olds leaving care and custody are at the highest risk of homelessness and social exclusion. Since 2012 the project, run by the charity 1625 Independent People, has helped 365 young people to make the transition from “looked after” to independent.
These young people have learned to survive at a very young age and often lack a stable family network. The project’s unique approach is to “walk with them” through their transitions into adulthood.
A team of six experienced youth workers provide each young person with a dedicated trusted adult – someone who is “there” for them.
Skills for Care, the national body responsible for raising standards in care work, highlighted Future 4 Me as a great example of how ‘psychologically informed’ approaches can improve young people’s wellbeing.
Sophia was placed in care following a parental bereavement. It was an emotional and traumatic experience. It disrupted her childhood and eroded her self-confidence, she got into trouble and her education was suffering. At 17, she was preparing to leave care and connected with Future 4 Me. Their priorities were making sure she had a safe, stable place to live, avoiding negative influences, rebuilding her confidence and getting her back into education.
During her two years with Future 4 Me Sophia completely rebooted her life, achieved a qualification and is now employed by North Somerset Council, helping to design services and courses to improve the lives of other young people.
- A good day for young refugees & unaccompanied asylum seeking children supported @1625ip in #SouthGlos… t.co/erwuo7LEvp
- Have you signed up for the #brizzz #sleepout yet? t.co/8nPq60lkCR Better get yerrr skates on... t.co/m4HsDIRFqj
- Watch @madeinbristoltv #bristolnews HERE: t.co/98NDgGH42w at 9pm to see CEO @WoodDom & @gabysethi talk about Future Builders
- Thks @EdCarterTV! Grt interview with @gabysethi and @WoodDom about the #futurebuilders project. WATCH TONIGHT 6 & 9… t.co/Q4e6RMp0e0
- Over 20 events are happening today as part of Healthy City Week! See all today's listings at our event page… t.co/mzz9SbAu3g