The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust (HWDT) is dedicated to enhancing knowledge and understanding of Scotland’s whales, dolphins and porpoises (cetaceans) and the Hebridean marine environment through education and research.
Thanks to National Lottery funding, HWDT purchased the Silurian. She’s a dedicated research and education vessel allowing HWDT to carry out educational research voyages with volunteers and young people including disadvantaged youth groups. As a ‘floating classroom’, she is more than up to the job after being used during filming of the BBC’s The Blue Planet. She’s fully equipped with a crow’s nest for observations, computer systems and hydrophones for detecting cetacean vocalisations.
In 10 years of operation, Silurian has welcomed onboard 810 adult volunteers, 1,962 school students and 19 youth participants.
First Mate, Tom (19), is a prime example of how Silurian can make an impact on an individual. He participated in an educational visit at primary school which inspired him to pursue a career combining his interest in science and the ocean. When he finished school, Tom became First Mate onboard Silurian. He’s responsible for the day-to-day running of the research vessel and floating classroom, assisting science staff with the monitoring programme and teaching volunteers about the local marine heritage.
Gemma Paterson, Education Officer at HWDT, said: “Overall the funding that we have received from the National Lottery has allowed us to enthuse and educate the decision-makers of the future; instilling a sense of environmental responsibility and commitment to the protection of the marine environment in the people of the Hebrides.”
- Next up on #BluePlanet2 are seagrass meadows. Seagrasses are carbon sinks and fishery powerhouses! Glad to see the… t.co/q1idMkvox1
- Our last #expedition #survey of 2017 was scheduled to coincide with the massive #NATO #JointWarrior military exerci… t.co/E2zr0QL06n
- #Scottish bottlenose #dolphins are the largest in the world! Our waters mark the furthest north of the species ran… t.co/VVn6BxMWcz
- @tourscotland Thanks for the RT @tourscotland - fantastic to use your platform to raise awareness of charities.
- @tourscotland @HWDT_org work directly with local communities to ensure whales, dolphins and porpoises are protected… t.co/SuB7sy6kVZ