Kidz Unlimited provides young disabled people with local fun and friendship clubs and camps across the UK.
“Kidz Unlimited is like my second family!" Lucy, Canterbury Club
Many disabled youngsters attend a school where they are the only disabled person, but thanks to Kidz Unlimited, hundreds of young disabled people now have a place to go that is relevant to them. By attending the Lottery funded project they get to make new friends, share experiences with other young disabled people and learn essential new life skills.
George, 16, from Surrey is a wheelchair user. He joined the Kidz Unlimited project when it launched in 2009 and was one of the first to sign up to the Guildford Club.
Mark Lovell, Head of Youth Participation says: “When George first attended he was extremely shy and introverted, He didn’t socialise very often and spent most of his time at home watching TV or playing computer games.”
George found that he enjoyed attending meetings and made new friends, he also started taking part in life skills training modules and found he was improving his self esteem and starting to feel a new sense of independence.
George used his new found confidence, public speaking and campaigning skills to represent Whizz-Kidz and other organisations and sharing the views of young disabled people. This culminated in George speaking at the Houses of Parliament in 2011 at the launch of a report to state the case for wheelchair reform.
In February 2012 George became the first ever recipient of the Kidz Unlimited Ambassador of the Year Award,
In 2011, Kidz Unlimited empowered over 1,400 disabled children and young people with life skills training, wheelchair skills, and tailored work placements to transform their futures.
Kidz Unlimited was a finalist in the 2012 National Lottery Awards.
- @WillHillier Please do - we'll RT to inspire others!
- @WillHillier Ace - good luck Will!
- Boom indeed! :) @SercoHealth @NHSForthValley MT: raised £1,000 for @WhizzKidz during celebrations for 'Serco 25' t.co/ZsctNuHy56
- Hi and thanks so much @WillHillier! We'd always recommend our pals over at @justgiving :)
- @ProfSteveField Fantastic news! Will be in touch. Will involve picking winner from small shortlist, & (if you can make) attending on July 10