A talented guitarist and songwriter, Cerebral Palsy was increasingly hindering Kris Halpin's musicianship. Struggling and considering withdrawing from performing altogether, Kris searched for a solution. A charity, Drake Music, supported Kris in working with Grammy award-winning musician Imogen Heap, who had devised a gestural instrument called "mi.mu gloves". She had developed the gloves to allow electronic music to be performed in a freer, more physical way.
"The gloves weren't devised to be accessible," says Kris, "But they enabled someone with a physical impairment like myself to work within their limitations to realise their musical vision - suddenly anything was possible."
Kris is the first disabled person to use the gloves, and used National Lottery funding to devise and tour a live show, The Gloves Are On.
Kris says: "The show set out to reimagine my music with this new instrument, and tell my story. More importantly, I realised that the show had social impact. Many people told me the show made them think differently about disability, and reactions were often emotional. I set out with modest ambitions to perform my music, but the show has become a much needed amplifier for a conversation about art, technology and disability. That, for me, was beautiful - to see the power that music could have, and also the impact that National Lottery funding had enabled."
Kris now tours the show full time, both nationally and internationally. A short documentary about the show was commissioned, available here: https://vimeo.com/202193792
- PATRONS: there’s a new Behind The Scenes up! If you haven’t joined the fun, it’s just $3p/m to not only support my… t.co/7ZAVuS9rMp
- Okay! Thanks to those who joined into the direct text chat thingy! Led to some really interesting conversations alr… t.co/zCinHRG8iy
- You’re not opting into a marketing thing, it’s just my phone. There’s new music on the way, if you’re interested, i… t.co/i2ciqyI72R
- So here’s an experiment. Posting new music into the timeline of *everything* feels a bit weird an impersonal now. I… t.co/ICAQGPv85M
- @Joheeshua @AppleSupport No but I ordered a shit apparently 🤷🏻♂️