A talented guitarist and songwriter, Cerebral Palsy was increasingly hindering Kris Halpin's musicianship. Struggling and considering withdrawing from performing altogether, Kris searched for a solution. A charity, Drake Music, supported Kris in working with Grammy award-winning musician Imogen Heap, who had devised a gestural instrument called "mi.mu gloves". She had developed the gloves to allow electronic music to be performed in a freer, more physical way.
"The gloves weren't devised to be accessible," says Kris, "But they enabled someone with a physical impairment like myself to work within their limitations to realise their musical vision - suddenly anything was possible."
Kris is the first disabled person to use the gloves, and used National Lottery funding to devise and tour a live show, The Gloves Are On.
Kris says: "The show set out to reimagine my music with this new instrument, and tell my story. More importantly, I realised that the show had social impact. Many people told me the show made them think differently about disability, and reactions were often emotional. I set out with modest ambitions to perform my music, but the show has become a much needed amplifier for a conversation about art, technology and disability. That, for me, was beautiful - to see the power that music could have, and also the impact that National Lottery funding had enabled."
Kris now tours the show full time, both nationally and internationally. A short documentary about the show was commissioned, available here: https://vimeo.com/202193792
- A new study into work-life balance in music & the performing arts by @PIPAinfo has found that carers, parents and f… t.co/Rk0bwrESff
- YES. Also, the music industry has trivialised/romanticised mental health of singer-songwriters for decades t.co/1XtYouzawH
- I could never afford to use @WavesAudioLtd products in the past, but their flash sales make it too ridic not to. Ju… t.co/8YDCMxYs08
- ⚠️ If you have a fear of flying, look away. ⚠️This is what happens when a drone hits an airplane wing. Using an air… t.co/p0adaAfslk
- @blueoctober @Justin_5591 booked tix for Birmingham Meet+Greet! Can’t wait! If you need a local support act, I can… t.co/1CTGQHBKrt