There’s no excuse not to be fit in Sefton: the Merseyside community boasts one of the country’s top sports centres. Lottery funding worth £1,680,000 helped to build the Litherland Sports Park, whose top facilities – including football pitches, an athletics track and a state-of-the-art gym – aim to attract a cross-section of the community.
With an emphasis on providing something for everyone to enjoy, the centre’s attractions include a gym, six-lane athletics track, football pitches, hockey pitches and walking routes. Facilities are as inclusive as possible – the gym, for example, is ‘pay as you go’, offering an alternative to expensive annual memberships.
The National Lottery grant has also been used to fund outreach workers in the community, with the aim of creating new opportunities for locals to participate in sport. Litherland is more than just a place to keep fit, however. It’s thought to be one of the first sports venues in the country that also offers health facilities that would normally be found in a hospital. The centre’s health and physical activity team offers rehabilitation for people with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, who have breathing difficulties, in a state-of-the-art fitness suite.The park has been incredibly successful in attracting fitness fans of all ages, and from all disciplines, as well as the 12 schools that take their sports lessons here, 16 clubs are based at Litherland, including an athletics club, 12 football clubs, two hockey clubs and a rugby club.
- Join our fantastic buggies sessions across Sefton with our lovely instructors, first session FREE! t.co/ychGFVQnkv
- Amazing achievement at Crosby parkrun last Saturday to have reached its 3rd birthday! Well done to Jan Mullin and h… t.co/S2KBgHH9Ux
- @Mersey_Care Active Workforce is here to help staff get active & improve their health, from exercise classes to hea… t.co/DhaWeTnUCp
- Development Coach Sefton Council Sefton, Merseyside Band F (SCP 22-26: £21,074 – 23,866) Monday 26th November 2018… t.co/I3aOgEqteH
- Development Officer - Children & Young People Sefton Council Sefton, Merseyside Band F (scp 22-26: £21,074 – 23,866… t.co/oSZQ9GsIfB