Celebrating the Cornish Mining Landscape's World Heritage status, the colossal Man Engine is the largest mechanical puppet ever to be built in Britain.
When he 'transforms' he stands at 11.2m tall (two-and-a-half double-decker buses!)
However The Man Engine will only 'transform' if enough people sing! All along the route last summer organisers worked with community choirs and invited spectators to sing and chant in the Cornish Language to help crank the Man Engine into life.
One hundred and fifty thousand people turned out to do just that at celebratory events all along his pilgrimage.
National Lottery funding helped the project design and construct the mechanical wonder and to run an educational programme
Working with Camborne School of Mines and Geevor Tin Mine, the project delivered Mining Heritage workshops at 30 schools across Cornwall. 1,500 school children dug deep into their mining heritage - including building working water pumps, exploring the stories of diverse Cornish Mining characters and going underground and blowing things up!
The initial economic impact of the tour was estimated at £2.9 million and the media reach was 112 million people across 104 countries!
The Man Engine unearthed a deep-rooted vein of pride and resilience running through Cornwall. He gave the Cornish people permission to tell their own story, to celebrate who they were, who they are, and who they want to be.
Next year the story will continue, when the Man Engine will say goodbye to Cornwall to tour South Wales and the North of England.
- Today is your last chance to get your hands on a £5 #EarlybirdME ticket! What are you waiting for? #ResurrectME… t.co/i1JBTEtz7l
- Have you got your tickets yet? Can’t wait for this at @geevormuseum next year! t.co/ggxjwOJQZT
- Calling all CORNISH BRAVEHEARTS – Kernow bys Vyken! t.co/wKsE9Bfehl #ResurrectME #EarlyBirdME t.co/D3NdOHkzXK
- Not long left! Get your #EarlybirdME ticket by Friday to see the Big Boy for just £5! Bargain! #ResurrectME… t.co/XXqm75iZrJ
- The Big Boy is Back! RADSTOCK historic centre of the Somerset coal-fields. 6th Apr 2018 t.co/wKsE9Bfehl… t.co/VckIAl0LxX