It can often be difficult for the LGBT community to get involved in sport. A 2016 study by the National LGB&T Partnership found that 55% of males in the LGBT community were not active enough to maintain good health, in comparison to 33% of males in the general population.
One group tackling this is the Manchester Village Spartans. Formed in 1998, the Spartans is an inclusive rugby union club, providing a welcoming environment for those in the LGBT community to participate in sport.
Ali Cooper, 22, was new to the city when he discovered the Spartans at a Manchester Pride stall.
"I didn't know anyone in the city, but the Spartans has introduced me to a whole network of people," he says. "I'm fitter and happier since I started playing with the team. Rugby is a great sport, and there is a place for anyone. You don't have to be a certain body type or skill level to get involved. All you need is the determination to try something new."
Teammate Ross Whitenstall, 24, agrees: "Joining the Spartans had such a positive effect on my life. Most of all, I did not realise how much I would enjoy playing a team sport and making new friendships as a result. Since joining, I have noticed a huge difference in my energy levels and mood as a result. I feel a lot better playing regular sport in my spare time. My job is quite solitary in nature so it is a nice break coming to the Spartans in the week."
Are you associated with this project and wish to give us more info? Please get in touch
- Had a great time in Manchester this weekend. Thanks to the @MVSRUFC for making us welcome and included in the their… t.co/0AVraJ9Xey
- Fantastic weekend up in Manchester with @WyvernsRFCUK playing rugby with and meeting the @MVSRUFC team, great bunch… t.co/YQGgGLc4uF
- So today I won Man of the Match and it was our last game of the season. Couldn’t be more proud of the @MVSRUFC 2XV… t.co/6G7BupUIIO
- The 1st XV have WON their match decisively today away v Broughton Park RUFC 12:77 so we await the Division 3 South… t.co/p1duvFnuPA
- Here’s 2 some great rugby 2day with the 1s & 2s in their final league fixtures for this season. Come n support the… t.co/PBVzinODPw