The National Portrait Gallery received National Lottery funding from Heritage Lottery Fund in order
to build the new Ondaatje Wing. This wing houses a brand new welcoming main hall, an IT gallery where visitors can explore the collections, a theatre hall, a book shop, a coffee shop and new 2 floors of gallery space.
In addition to supporting the creation of this new space, the National Lottery funded various other projects including painting acquisitions and exhibitions. With over 195,000 pieces, the National Portrait Gallery houses the most extensive collection of portraits in the world and offers a superb and interactive visiting experience, hosting almost 2 million visitors a year. All of this helps the National Portrait Gallery, London to reach a wider audience and to educate more people on British history and culture.
- "If you want to sing out, sing out, and if you want to be free, be free, cause there's a million ways to be, you kn… t.co/DBqkV0TOZh
- This week we’ve continued with our #MJOntheWall highlights reel, showcasing the best shots from our brilliant visit… t.co/1LyDTVCliN
- "Michael Jackson's own face — through a combination of fame and relentless surgery — became a mask, reflecting our… t.co/zqxMG4ThaP
- Today's #Portaitoftheday is Emma, Lady Hamilton. #Didyouknow she was the first woman to be awarded the Maltese Cro… t.co/ufMTXwpf5N
- Happy Birthday Benedict Cumberbatch! Born #onthisday in 1976, Cumberbatch has received numerous awards including a… t.co/jOr64G2VZe