The Grade I listed Piece Hall has stood in Halifax since 1779 as one of Britain's most outstanding Georgian buildings. It's the sole survivor of the 18th century northern cloth halls.
With £7 million from the National Lottery, Calderdale Council delivered a high-quality transformation to secure the much-loved building's future, sensitively conserving its historic fabric and introducing modern facilities to create a vibrant cultural centre for Halifax, Yorkshire and beyond.
Run by The Piece Hall Trust, two million visitors have walked through its gates since it reopened last August. It is home to bars, cafés, shops and high-profile outdoor events, including this year's Tour de Yorkshire and Royal visit. 45 volunteers have contributed nearly 2,600 hours welcoming visitors, hosting guided tours and helping 1,000 schoolchildren to discover the building's fascinating history.
The Piece Hall is making a major contribution to the regeneration of Halifax, putting the town on the map as a great place to live, work and visit. Around 100 new jobs have been created and local businesses are reporting increased sales and record tourism figures. It's giving local people a new sense of pride and aspiration.
The Piece Hall has changed 25-year-old Lisette Cooke's life. She moved to Halifax from London last year, "The quality of life here is a real attraction, but it's The Piece Hall that I fell in love with, and the community within it has helped me with my depression and made me feel more positive about the future."
For more information about The Piece Hall visit the website.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch
- Snap your tickets up before they disappear! The great bald magician El Baldiniho is bringing his mind-boggling magi… t.co/5kD6gwTgCG
- 10 for the weekend - West Yorkshire family events December 15-16 featuring @WFMuseums @RSPBAireValley @ThePieceHall… t.co/zzN09Jekn4
- @badly_drawn_boy Wishing you a speedy recovery. We hope to welcome you back to @ThePieceHall soon!
- Bring in 2019 inside the spectacular surroundings of The Piece Hall courtyard. ✨ Gather your friends & family and e… t.co/OQfogefXWY
- What a success, Illuminting Halifax looked stunning @squarechapel, @ThePieceHall @HalifaxMinster 👏👏🙌 t.co/3ageSnj8Po