The Ring of Gullion is the focus of a four-year project supported by the National Lottery through the Heritage Lottery Fund that is conserving and enhancing the unique and treasured landscape as well as its cultural heritage. Named after the ring of low, rugged hills that form a 'rampart' around the Slieve Gullion mountain in County Armagh, the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty is the setting for practical activities involving local people and communities. Primarily aimed at built, human and natural heritage, the partnership includes 24 projects ranging from trail creation and construction to storytelling; and from interpreting the history of the Newry Canal to enhancing the area’s rich biodiversity.
The partnership has brought together people with a wide range of expertise, including geology, built heritage, biodiversity, tourism, agriculture, forestry and recreation. They have helped conserve some of the most threatened habitats in Northern Ireland, such as heather moorlands, through managing erosion around footpaths. Threatened species like the pine marten and the red squirrel are also being given greater protection through wildlife conservation measures such as surveys and winter feeding and making nest boxes.
Thanks to National Lottery funding every 10-11-year-old in the area has taken part in an education programme to trace the origins of their families and homes in their townlands. Hundreds of children have also taken part in community archaeological digs and other fun and educational events.
For more information about Ring of Gullion Landscape Partnership Scheme visit the website.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch
- We were serenaded in the tree nursery polytunnel this morning, by one of our Robin quality controllers. Definitely… t.co/cWw6QmGSyN
- New Business Development in the Ring of Gullion. t.co/WzjXs4j3Vp
- If you've made a New Years resolution to try new things or to start volunteering, we're running a volunteer day tom… t.co/DVMed94Bo9
- Well done to all the staff who work day in day, come rain hail or snow looking after the playpark and Giants Lair! t.co/a5wMS164wt
- Just one of many reasons to visit Slieve Gullion Forest Park and the wider Ring of Gullion area. Thank-you WalkNI :D t.co/lmKo7jFjnH