A National Lottery grant of £500,000 from Sport Scotland helped to fund major new facilities at the centre, which include two indoor courts with international-tournament-standard lighting and two outdoor traditional clay courts. The improvements go beyond simply providing extra space, however: their main purpose is to enhance performance, with, for example, state-of-the-art low-level mobile cameras that can record individual players’ movements for use with technical analysis software.
The Chief Executive of governing body Tennis Scotland, said that the centre ‘will become a central training resource, a home base for our players on the tour and a performance centre. Players can also enjoy the benefit of superb support facilities including sports sciences and a state-of-the-art fitness centre, creating what is, in effect, a sports village.’
The centre builds on the University of Stirling’s existing reputation for sporting excellence and in particular its commitment to young tennis players: it has run an international sports scholarship programme here for more than 25 years. The young Andy Murray is one of many to have cut his teeth here, and it is hoped that his success will encourage others to join in the game. The National Lottery grant has also funded new permanent office space for Tennis Scotland staff, so that coaches will be consistently on hand to foster young talent and provide the necessary motivation to create the champions of tomorrow.
- Super day with our friends @advantennisedin for festive parent & child all ability competition! 34 players, 17 team… t.co/rjUvlWbpZQ
- After 2 amazing years of @SheRallies can’t wait to see what @BritishTennis have planned for 2019! So many more girl… t.co/Z058RafbDi
- Well done to all who enjoyed the latest #socialtennis Tournament @GiffnockLTC. Congratulations to John and Ruth for… t.co/kBoY0262pH
- Email Issue: Tennis Scotland employees are not currently receiving any emails from external senders. Please resen… t.co/9hqvKMnVNZ
- More reasons to make sure you're signed up for #TeamTennis in 2019! To what the full video and enter your team cl… t.co/wfXCnDrEuH