Based in a disused works depot for almost 30 years, The Senior Centre Castlemilk moved to newly-renovated premises in 2014, re-launching with an expanded programme of activities funded by the National Lottery.
Open to anyone over 55 years old in the Glasgow community of Castlemilk and surrounding areas, the Centre offers its members - who like to refer to themselves as 'recycled teenagers' - a busy programme of classes, activities, trips, holidays and parties throughout the year, with members able to try Tai Chi and Zumba, browse fashion shows and all aspects of I.T.
The National Lottery grant also provides funds for three staff members, including a full-time driver. Each week transport is provided on accessible minibuses for more than 40 members who would otherwise not be able to attend.
Thirty volunteers, drawn mainly from the membership, are on hand to ensure everyone receives a warm welcome.
Shelia Broadley joined The Senior Centre 12 years ago and is considered an ambassador for the project. The grandmother's family don’t live locally so she thoroughly enjoys the social aspect of what's on offer.
Sheila says: "I love the company the Centre provides for me. I love just coming in for a natter and I have an amazing social life as a result, I couldn’t count how many friends I've made."
Sheila has become a trustee and the Centre's Chair. She says: "I feel great since becoming more involved with the Centre. I am a person again, with my own identity and can still use my brain and knowledge."
For more information about The Senior Centre Castlemilk visit the website.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch
- 'According to the Campaign To End Loneliness, for every £1 invested in preventing #loneliness, the NHS saves £3 in… t.co/yXVtzt6F5e
- Happy birthday to Allison who celebrated her 80th birthday with us on Friday! t.co/jFeP5gJBwH
- After heading through to Arrochar on Friday afternoon, over 50 of our members and staff enjoyed dinner before danci… t.co/zQ4QWGyrx8
- Thanks Pound Stop, Slimalicious, J. Martin Butcher, @bmstores, One-O-One, Flawless Health & Beauty, HairSquare, Kin… t.co/39ZfB5ZmlP
- Friday's coffee morning was a roaring success and managed to raise a massive £1,131.07 for @macmillancancer. Thank… t.co/H7KOmA60tG