Seven Stories is the National Centre for Children’s Books. Their mission is to save, share and celebrate our rich heritage of children’s books to inspire a love of reading across generations.
In a few short years, the National Lottery has helped Seven Stories become the UK’s National Centre for Children’s Books, based in the heart of some of Britain’s most disadvantaged communities in the North East. Seven Stories has received £660,000 in lottery funding from Arts Council England and £352,249 from the Heritage Lottery Fund. Located in a seven-floor Victorian warehouse in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, the centre welcomes over 70,000 visitors a year and attracts some of the biggest names in children’s literature to work with them to stage exhibitions and to take part in events.
Visitors to the centre now enjoy a year round programme of exhibitions, children's literature events and activities, performances, talks and workshops that bring to life the world of story and children’s books.
Seven Stories cares for the only collection in the world that tells the story of modern British children’s literature. This treasure trove includes original manuscripts and artwork by more than 100 authors and illustrators, including Judith Kerr, Enid Blyton, Philip Pullman, Kaye Webb and David Almond. The centre draws upon these special archives to create playful exhibitions, to inspire lively events, child-centred learning and offer a unique resource for teachers and researchers.
- Take a trip this summer and find out how Michael Bond's Paddington Bear has been brought to life in… t.co/THPLBovrhI
- A packed Attic for our Shh! We Have a Plan Performance. Join us everyday for fun interactive shows at… t.co/pVpAGsDLYj
- Hard to choose a favourite thing about the shiny new @7Stories. Fascinating exhibs, great spaces, bookshop, Paddington - & fairy lights!
- Our Matt had his 2mins in spotlight welcoming @MCCMediaTV to @7Stories for @CBeebiesfun for a day of exciting filming t.co/pEIx5iUNbu
- We had a great night launching the brilliantly terrifying Thirteen Days of Midnight by Leo Hunt here… t.co/n8Mvnh0iTf