Half of all 75-year-olds in the UK live alone, and more than one million older people say they always or often feel lonely. In a survey conducted by ComRes before the launch of The Silver Line Helpline in November 2013, 9 out of 10 older people said that a chat on the phone is the most helpful solution when they are feeingl lonely but 1 in 4 of them said they never or rarely had anyone to talk to. Esther Rantzen’s vision to create a “ChildLine for older people” is a simple concept – a free 24 hour helpline, available every day and night of the year, where you can find out about services in your area, talk in confidence, get some friendly advice or quite simply have a chat. And for people who would appreciate a regular call from the same person every week there are now more than 1500 volunteer Silver Line Friends who share the belief that a simple connection with another human being can be life-changing. As one caller said “when I get off the phone, I feel like I belong to the human race”.
- @CreditChemist Wise words indeed
- @TheSilverLineUK From my Grandad to my Father to Me. "A fool and his money will soon be parted!"
- @IamLucyWood She sounds like a very glamorous Nanna!
- @TheSilverLineUK my Nanna always said you should 'always go out with your eyes on' meaning make up! 😂 #WednesdayWisdom
- Do you have any family pearls of wisdom that have been passed down the generations? Tweet us your #WednesdayWisdom