UK Sport is responsible for co-ordinating the bidding and staging of major international sporting events across the UK. UK Sport works in partnership with sporting and regional partners to ensure that important international events are staged in the UK, to a world leading standard.
Between 2007 and 2012, UK Sport’s World Class Events Programme distributed around £3.5 million of National Lottery funding each year to support the bidding and staging of major international sporting events on home soil in preparation for London 2012. The programme supported 118 events in 35 different towns and cities across the UK between 2007 – 2012 attracting around 30,000 athletes and over 27,000 opportunities for officials and volunteers to develop key skills ahead of London 2012.
The success of this programme has led to the development of an ambitious event hosting strategy for the post London 2012 period, which will see National Lottery investment increase to £5 million per year.
Find out more about the 2007 – 2012 UK Sports Major Events Strategy - http://www.uksport.gov.uk/pages/2007-2012-Events/
- 💯 | Inspiration lasts longer than the medal ceremony... 🥇 We spoke to the next generation of @The_BBSA athletes to… t.co/rzuPKuKo6R
- Dame Katherine Grainger & UK Sport are proud to be supporting @ukantidoping's Clean Sport Week 💯 (21-27th May)… t.co/VxjrxzPliS
- Olympic medallists @jonny_brownlee and @VixHolland have been named as part of the Great Britain squad for the Accen… t.co/kqveOxPGYD
- After a huge 4⃣ Paralympic Games, wheelchair curling legend Angie Malone has announced her retirement. She now wan… t.co/mQW9xh4MQD
- 1️⃣ year to go until the @WorldTaekwondo1 Championships! #Manchester, are you ready❓ ➡️t.co/LFH4AL00Jf t.co/Xg2qsbGVcg