Sustrans’ Connect2 project has transformed everyday travel for communities across the UK by helping them to choose healthier, cleaner and cheaper journeys.
The project has created new bridges and crossings that overcome busy roads, rivers and railways, and link to networks of walking and cycling routes, making it easier for millions of people to walk and cycle for everyday journeys to shops, work, schools and to each other.
The Connect2 project has created 84 individual new walking and cycling networks in England, Wales and Scotland, delivered over five years from 2008 to 2013. In each case the project has worked with local authorities, the local community and many other partners to identify, design and build the schemes to meet the needs of their communities.
Sustrans’ Connect2 project has created:
• 84 new walking and cycling networks
• 80 major new safe crossings of roads (and countless more smaller crossings)
• over 100 brand new or renovated bridges
• 85 local art installations
• hundreds of community events to celebrate the importance of walking and cycling
Thanks to the success of the project, six million people now live close to new walking and cycling routes and to the National Cycle Network.
- It's the start of our big Summer Sale! Get 30% off everything in our online shop including panniers, maps, guides a… t.co/kIilcI57IV
- 🌈 We’re really proud to be joining in the #BristolPride fun today and marching for equality as an official 2018… t.co/kCADXAMWk3
- "I can honestly say it has changed my life. I’d love to see more families across Bristol using cargo bikes but peop… t.co/b1P3Mm5BTd
- We’re #recruiting – new #Brand Manager job working on exciting projects at Sustrans. Would suit experienced brand s… t.co/DO6zjCaWFR
- How are you keeping cool and fresh in the #summer heat? Here's our top tips for #cycling during the hottest time o… t.co/3G894xlzk8