This project received a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund, which awards money raised by National Lottery players to projects that preserve intangible histories - such as memories, languages and customs. Lottery funding has helped people to connect with their local communities and celebrate what is important to them.
The Tweedsmuir Camp Exhibition at the Rural Life Centre (RLC) in Surrey, secures a
permanent place in history for a group of people who had experienced an amazing World War Two
life story, which was as moving as it was catastrophic. The exhibition focuses on a small area of
Surrey where a group of around sixty Polish soldiers from 114,037, who fought under British
Operational Command, began their lives again after demobilisation in an extinct WWII Canadian
Army camp with their wives, children and relatives. The Camp was named after Lord Tweedsmuir, the fifteenth Governor General of Canada.
The exhibition uses contemporary and historical graphics as well as artefacts, some of which were
donated by family members who lived there, and Canadian army personnel who were stationed at
the camp during WWII, to describe the history of the camp, its site, Poland’s role in the war and the
Polish families’ way of life at the camp after the war. A significant part of the project includes the
making of a DVD and a booklet which contains personal stories written either by individual
volunteers, provided by volunteers in conversation or from documents volunteered by surviving
members of the families who lived at Tweedsmuir Camp. Both of these items are available on line
and from the RLC.
For more information about funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund visit www.hlf.org.uk
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch
- @HullMinster @HLFYandH @VHEY_UK @VisitHull @TNLUK Congratulations!
- Great news & congratulations to @SheffieldLakes for receiving #NationalLottery funding! #HLFsupported #LoveNature t.co/deb9bxhaE1
- Happy #HalfTerm! Feel inspired by our list of 7 heritage things to do in October 👉t.co/6HuK3zEj3q & see o… t.co/c3ma8BphGb
- @VerdantWorks @TNLUK Thank you for having us & thank you for taking part in our recent film about Dundee heritage!… t.co/P74o58wc8N
- We had the pleasure of welcoming members of @heritagelottery to our beautiful museum yesterday. Without the support… t.co/o0d6SF7F7A