The South Pennine Uplands can feel remote but are within an hour of where seven million people live. A playground for walkers and cyclists; an inspiration to artists and writers and internationally important for birds – making the most of the area for people to enjoy and preserving it for the future are at the heart of what the Watershed Landscape Project does.
Improving access to the uplands is one of the project’s main aims. Thanks to a series of new cycle paths, walking trails and car parks, people are discovering new parts. Whether it is for an adrenaline filled mountain bike session or a serene walk to take in the dramatic scenery, with more than 200sq miles to explore one visit is rarely enough.
Working with 28 partner organisations, Watershed Landscape also provides countless opportunities for all parts of the community to take part in activities involving the uplands. This can be anything from walking tours to educational trips to learn about the history of the area or creative arts groups using the landscape as inspiration.
Pam Warhurst CBE, Chair of Pennine Prospects, which runs Watershed Landscape, says:
"Volunteers are at the core of this Project: guiding, inspiring and carrying out landscape restoration. We are delighted that the National Lottery Awards has recognised their passion for the uplands. It is fantastic that we have been seen as one of the ten best lottery funded projects."
Watershed Landscapre Project was a finalist in the 2012 National Lottery Awards.
Vote for this project for an award
- Feel alive and thrive in your local AONB. All this play space and food for curious minds and it's free!… t.co/rloCbV4O2e
- Join the @WalkandRideFest this week & take your camera to enter the #southpennines Thru the Lens Photo Comp… t.co/ukDP1VOGCR
- It's #outstandingweek there's lots of fantastic events happening across our beautiful #AONBs @AONBFamily… t.co/4ifahcWXOT
- It's #OutstandingWeek in the Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty. List of events: t.co/lAGQg0A2or t.co/U44HV9lSPT
- Grt shot - its #Outstanding for #outstandinghour in an #outstandingweek! t.co/8L2g262fMA