The Whale Track app uses the technology we all carry in our pockets to quickly and easily record sightings of marine mammals here in the Hebrides.
The west coast of Scotland is a vibrant pocket of marine life, with a quarter of all whale, dolphin and porpoise species recorded in Hebridean waters. But increasing global environmental challenges mean that now more than ever conservation must involve local people. Every Whale Track sighting helps us to better understand the movements of these animals, their behaviours, and measures we can take to protect them.
Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust Science Officer, Lauren Hartny-Mills, says: "With all eyes on the water, Whale Track is helping gather vital data from local communities.
"Rather than simply educating, the project actively involves people in tracking the movements of coastal species like bottlenose dolphins and unravelling the mysteries of more elusive species like killer whales."
The Whale Track app is free to download and uses GPS to accurately track excursions at sea and record locations of sightings.
Crucially, the app works without phone signal or Wi-Fi, meaning sightings in the most remote areas are not lost.
Local family owned cruise company, Hebrides Cruises, played a vital part in the development of the app. Onboard Wildlife Guide, Lynsey Bland, says: "We use the app on a daily basis on our vessels. Other members of the crew, even the chef, have reported sightings. The data we collect is crucial to understanding and protecting these remarkable animals for future generations."
For more information about Whale Track visit the website.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch
- Do you want to #volunteer with HWDT in 2019? Applications close on Monday 14th Jan! Join us & support a unique pr… t.co/uLdOCY1IWs
- This festive season you can make just a few wee changes to your Christmas celebrations & make a big impact on our s… t.co/VAsIjvJ7Ui
- A huge welcome back to Lynsey Bland who has joined us as our Acoustic Research Assistant this winter. Lynsey first… t.co/ze1HZDDqP4
- Apply now to join our team as an Outreach and Research #Volunteer in 2019 and gain engagement experience; data coll… t.co/oallDwXicO
- There are only 8 #killerwhales left in the West Coast Community, including the infamous John Coe - support their fu… t.co/8hA76KHnEI