Wheels for Wellbeing is a charity in Brixton that promotes disability cycling in south London.
Wheels for Wellbeing has been promoting cycling for all since it began in 2007. The charity faced closure in 2010 when their finances became limited, but then The National Lottery stepped in to provide crucial funding. Now, the charity’s fleet of over 100 cycles enable more than 600 disabled people to be physically active at weekly cycling sessions in Croydon and Lambeth.
Cycling gives them independence and freedom and builds confidence as well as fitness levels. And in this amazing year of success for GB’s Olympic and Paralympic cyclists, Wheels for Wellbeing demonstrates that cycling also has a big impact on the lives of everyday people with disabilities.
John was diagnosed with shingles in May last year, which paralysed both his legs. Physiotherapy allowed him to build his strength and he turned to the charity for support: “Wheels for Wellbeing really helped me. They gave me a tricycle and all the encouragement in the world to progress from two laps to five, six, eight and ten on consecutive Saturdays. I achieved my real dream though a few months’ later when I was able to ride a bicycle. Being able to get out and about cycling has made a massive difference to how I live my life. I received tremendous support from Wheels for Wellbeing – it’s a wonderful charity.”
Wheels for Wellbeing was a finalist in the 2012 National Lottery Awards.
Vote for this project for an award
- Mondays 11- 1.30, #cyclingforall #HerneHill Velodrome, handcycles, tandems, trikes, recumbents, wheelchair bike... t.co/9r8MzPdi7d
- Tuesdays 12 - 1 Ladywell Day Centre: use our inclusive cycles #Lewisham #cycling #exercise #health #disability t.co/PltQ6cK6LQ
- Fridays 11am - 1pm #Croydon Arena #cyclingforall, handcycles, tandems, trikes, recumbents, wheelchair bike... t.co/9r8MzPdi7d
- Ladies: hire our cycles for £3, 10.30am Monday 28 April meet #HerneHillVelodrome for inclusive @BreezeNetwork ride led by @AbsRainbird
- Today 11- 1.30 #cyclingforall #HerneHill Velodrome, handcycles, tandems, trikes, recumbents, wheelchair bike... t.co/9r8MzPdi7d