As the first charity to establish child bereavement support services in the UK, Winston's Wish continues to lead the way in providing specialist child bereavement support services, including in-depth therapeutic help in individual, group and residential settings.
Winston's Wish was established by Julie Stokes OBE, a clinical psychologist, in 1992 to meet the needs of bereaved children and their families. The idea took root when Julie visited the US and Canada on a Winston Churchill Travelling Fellowship. Having been inspired by the services she saw there, Julie returned to the UK to set up Winston’s Wish.
Claire is one parent to be helped: "After losing my husband I found there wasn't much local support available. Having five boys I found it increasingly difficult to find ways to support them as they were all dealing with their grief in different ways and at different stages.
"For a while we muddled through but life was hard, very stressful and at times unbearable. To watch my children full of sadness was heart-breaking! I felt I was failing them. Then I went to the Winston's Wish drop-in in Wigan. I felt instantly welcome and for the first time in a very long time there was a glimmer of hope for my family. I have met some lovely people. While the children are busy with their arts and crafts it's a time for parents, grandparents and others to chat, exchange ideas and thoughts and to be part of a group that understands your situation. It's a safe place to share your worries and concerns and reassuring to know that you’re not on your own."
- Winston's Wish supporter Gail Bidder's Nativity Windows event in memory of her husband Gerry has made the front pag… t.co/qexwi9dulF
- Join us in #Evesham today from 4pm to access support for bereaved children and young people t.co/jdnBqb44F1
- Our Freephone National Helpline is open today until 5pm. Call us for advice and support following a bereavement.… t.co/AGX9SwB7qt
- We’ve been delighted to have @TheCHOLimited as a gold-sponsor for our Freephone National Helpline today. If you’d l… t.co/E4vB6t53gt
- Thanks to @TheCHOLimited who are today’s generous gold-sponsor of our Freephone National Helpline. Thanks to their… t.co/9vNUY2X6FH