Supported by Durham-based TIN Arts, George Williams has broken new ground for dancers with learning disabilities with his first solo work, a performance called WIRED, which incorporates contemporary dance, street dance and parkour.
In July 2017 George premiered WIRED at the Northern Ballet in Leeds to an audience of more than 200. Then in August he became the first dancer with a learning disability to perform a solo dance piece at Stockton International Riverside Festival, one of the leading outdoor arts festivals in Europe. WIRED is confirmed for national touring across England in 2018.
TIN Arts Executive Director, Martin Wilson, anticipates the work will have a long touring life and continue to profile George as a leading dancer with a learning disability on a national scale.
He says: "For a dancer with a learning disability to present professional work alongside other great art by nationally leading companies is monumental and innovative. The work is presented and received as art first and foremost, which is important to both George as an artist and TIN Arts as the organisation supporting George.
"There are no allowances made for George’s disability - he is being treated as a professional artist which is his ambition and dream."
From Grangetown in Middlesbrough, George’s love of dancing goes back to school and since leaving in 2010 he has been training with TIN Arts, an organisation which specialises in high-level training for people with disabilities. The project received National Lottery funding to provide George with the people, resources and support to create, perform and tour his dance work.
To vote for WIRED - A dance by George Williams by telephone, please call 0844 836 9672 - Telephone voting calls cost 5p max. A connection charge may be applied by some networks. Please check with your provider.
- This time next week the opening parade will be under way! Make sure you know what’s happening when by downloading t… t.co/zolXqO5qJi
- Interesting article when thinking about how the Talent Hub hopes to change the dance sector @TalentHubDance… t.co/fsr540OcJ9
- Described as a 'real-life Billy Elliott', George Williams has overcome obstacles to gain a national reputation in d… t.co/xLm05OAYkG
- Just 7 days left to vote for George and #NLAWired in the #NLAwards t.co/pqKS9Ryitj
- Thank you! t.co/8iZFud3Ee5