Woodberry Wetlands is in the heart of London, in one of the 20% most deprived neighbourhoods in the UK. Until recently, local people had little access to nature and high quality green space.
In 2016, National Lottery funding helped London Wildlife Trust transform the former Stoke Newington East Reservoir into a new wetland reserve, with free daily access for local people and visitors from across London. Many people, from a wide range of backgrounds, are discovering wildlife and nature through guided walks, courses and workshops, and 2,400 primary schoolchildren will visit this year.
For many, it will be their first opportunity to see kingfisher, reed warbler and great crested grebe, alongside dragonflies, butterflies and newts. New wildlife habitats have been created, with over 100 different bird species recorded, and the Grade II Listed Coal House has been renovated and opened to the public as an education and activity hub, with superb views over the reservoir.
Woodberry Wetlands provides a welcome to wildlife experts and nature novices alike, allowing everyone to enjoy the best of nature, all within ten minutes of a tube station. Many locals, of all ages and backgrounds, have been inspired to get closer to nature through regular volunteering sessions. The creation of this stunning nature reserve was made possible with the support of Heritage Lottery Fund, Thames Water, Hackney Council, Berkeley Homes, Veolia Environmental Trust and other partners, and was opened to the public by Sir David Attenborough in April 2016.
- Thank you to all those that have been busy booking tickets for our events! Our 20% discount runs out at midnight, s… t.co/KGVo87mA1E
- Five hours to go! Enjoy a special discount & help fund our conservation work! t.co/DtuI5hXxZ0
- Dark clouds @WildWoodberry this afternoon t.co/iPm7zYt1rz
- Several have been snapped up already! Get your 25% discount off our upcoming Beer tasting and Wreath making events… t.co/Oe1zgqt5jS
- To celebrate it being Friday, we are doing a flash sale for our upcoming Beer tasting and Wreath making events! Quo… t.co/GMJVDzMuCn