UK Sport is responsible for co-ordinating the bidding and staging of major international sporting events across the UK. UK Sport works in partnership with sporting and regional partners to ensure that important international events are staged in the UK, to a world leading standard.
Between 2007 and 2012, UK Sport’s World Class Events Programme distributed around £3.5 million of National Lottery funding each year to support the bidding and staging of major international sporting events on home soil in preparation for London 2012. The programme supported 118 events in 35 different towns and cities across the UK between 2007 – 2012 attracting around 30,000 athletes and over 27,000 opportunities for officials and volunteers to develop key skills ahead of London 2012.
The success of this programme has led to the development of an ambitious event hosting strategy for the post London 2012 period, which will see National Lottery investment increase to £5 million per year.
Find out more about the 2007 – 2012 UK Sports Major Events Strategy - http://www.uksport.gov.uk/pages/2007-2012-Events/
- WE'VE LAUNCHED THE ICF 2019 Canoe Slalom World Cup, London website today with one year to go! Sign up to tickets… t.co/vEuKDTkKVM
- Only possible with the #worldclass staff @BritishCanoeing and the incredible support of @uk_sport & @TNLUK players… t.co/NRIXJDwDsQ
- 🥇 🥈 🥉 Earned, not gifted. Introducing the new @Euro_Champs medals that Europe’s elite athletes will be competing f… t.co/NYaQ52j08v
- 🥇 London 2012 🥉 Rio 2016 🇬🇧's greatest long jumper ✅ inspired a nation Take a bow @GregJRutherford ✌️ t.co/kRCaFJsrwG
- Always great to see our @TeamGB @Olympics & @uk_sport athletes inspiring future generations. It often goes unseen o… t.co/JhPdGXtGK5