Blaenau Ffestiniog had no community group working to improve the local environment until Y Dref Werdd (The Green Town) was created. The social enterprise works with the community to boost environmental awareness and skills in ways that improve people’s lives across the board, from reducing fuel costs to help in finding a job.
With its high street office, people have easy access to information, including an important energy advice service in an area with the highest fuel poverty in Wales, along with tips and action to reduce food waste.
Improving job prospects, the National Lottery funded project has also helped 80 locals to gain training and/or qualifications in the environment sector. It works with volunteers to improve the local area, creating three community green spaces in three years and removing eight tons of rubbish from three rivers as well as controlling the threat of invasive species to local habitats.
Project Manager, Gwydion ap Wynn, says: "We don’t just help the environment. Our aim is also to improve people’s wellbeing - mentally, physically and financially - and boost the local economy."
Retired gardener Brian was very isolated and in poor health before getting involved with Y Dref Werdd. His wife had passed away and he did not know many people, having moved to the area from Lancashire a few years before. After getting involved with the project, Brian has since become the Chief Gardener in a community green space in the village of Tanygrisiau. Brian has since developed a self confidence that he didn't possess for a number of years.
For more information about Y Dref Werdd visit the website.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch
- Busy & enjoyable week in North Wales. Great to catch up with @Gisdacyf in Blaenau yesterday, humbled by the work t… t.co/bgwNAomr9O
- Are you aged 25 or over? Have you been looking for work for 12 months or more? Do you want support to take a step f… t.co/HtKz570g1p
- A ydych yn 25 oed neu'n hŷn? Yn chwilio am waith ers dros 12 mis? Eisiau cymorth i gymryd cam ymlaen? Dewch i weld… t.co/JEqgURBGs7
- Soup weather today, definitely! There are plenty of veg and fruit available at @Gisdacyf or Y Dref Werdd to share… t.co/QEnVF3ohW6
- Tywydd gwneud sŵp dydi? Mae 'na ddigonedd o lysiau a ffrwythau yn swyddfeydd @Gisdacyf a'r Dref Werdd i rannu! De… t.co/1RF78DhVbe