Our understanding of relationships begin from the moment we are born. We learn from what we see around us: our parents, our families, our friends, our peers, films and the media. Yellow Door's STAR Project works to explore the understanding, ideas and attitudes children and young people have around relationships, aiming to ensure that every young person across Southampton and western Hampshire knows what a healthy relationship is, how to recognise signs of abuse, and where to go for help if they need it. An estimated 1 in 5 people will experience abuse or interpersonal violence at some point in their life - STAR has been developed to reduce this figure and break the silence around these topics.
Annually, the STAR team provide around 16,000 interactions with young people through delivery of over 600 sessions in schools, colleges, youth centres and other settings across Southampton and western Hampshire. By using interactive games and activities, they get young people of all ages thinking about everything from body image and self-esteem to pornography and internet safety – keeping it fun and relevant so that traditionally sensitive and difficult topics can be made easier to talk about openly, and without judgment. They ensure that every young person STAR interacts with is fully equipped with the knowledge and awareness of risks in order to stay safe, but also in the best place to develop healthy and happy relationships throughout their later lives.
For more information about Yellow Door Star Project visit the website.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch
- We're recruiting for two exciting opportunities within our team: Counsellor, and Volunteer & Involvement Co-ordinat… t.co/yEZ9d1hOfu
- This is the final result of the incredible fundraising efforts from the @NCS groups that supported us over the summ… t.co/yByAFGotxy
- One month to go until our Spinners kick off their Spinathon! Have you supported the fundraiser yet? All proceeds… t.co/LQgOnFWqVj
- “When survivors do speak up, they face ‘heavy-duty stigma'" @nytimes asks why domestic abuse awareness has not c… t.co/6DFDN5fWe1
- One hour to go until Sujala and Caroline from our Diversity & Inclusion Team will be appearing on @AwaazFMradio , t… t.co/Yz4o8tVfjx