Having won the inaugural Paracanoe KL2 title in late 2016, Emma struggled with fitness over the winter, nursing a broken finger as well as rib and elbow injuries. She overcame all the odds to have her most successful year of racing in 2017, posting some of her fastest ever times. Emma had a phenomenal 12 months as she became the undisputed world leader for KL2 Paracanoe, holding the British, World, European and Paralympic titles – the first canoeist to do so. Emma also won the World title in the fastest ever recorded time for a female KL2 racer at ICF Canoe Sprint World Championships to bring her total number of titles to five.
Outside of competition, Emma was nominated in the Sunday Times Sportswomen of the Year awards, a national recognition for her exceptional contribution to the sport. She was also awarded an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Chichester, for her contribution to the sport and in recognition of her former career as a teacher and an MBE for Services to Canoeing.Emma is a leading advocate of Clean Sports. She was nominated by the UK Anti-Doping Agency to attend the Institute of National Anti-Doping Organisations international athletes and leaders’ event as a panel member, the only British athlete to do so.
Emma said: “I feel very privileged to be nominated for ‘Athlete of the Year’ at this year’s National Lottery Awards. National Lottery players allow me to represent my country and win medals so it is amazing to be in the running for an iconic National Lottery Award. It is a very strong shortlist full of incredible Olympic and Paralympic stars so I am delighted to be on it and I hope the public go out and vote for me!”
Am ragor o wybodaeth am Emma Wiggs ymwelwch â'r wefan.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch
- Also please give @canoecol a vote! Amazing coach doing amazing things to help us achieve. A hugely important part… t.co/O2lE4IgTos
- Very honoured to have been nominated for 🌍 @PaddleAwards #Sportswomen of year alongside some phenomenal athletes! P… t.co/TZoanFByGc
- BAN | British sprinter Nigel Levine has been suspended from all sport for a period of four years following an Anti-… t.co/G5a3vZOTxm
- 📣VERY IMPORTANT.Please #RT 📣 Safety Alert- Weil's Disease We have been made aware of a paddler in the East Midlan… t.co/oJVeEBFS0l
- I still may not be on the water but I can still ask myself this everyday.... #Mindset #Onwards #Rehab t.co/Dn2fRIblPS