UK Sport aspires to lead Olympic and Paralympic sport in the UK to World Class Success.
Spotlight On: Teenage weightlifting sensation Rebekah Tiler
We speak to one of British Weightlifting's rising stars, 14-year-old Rebekah Tiler.Read more
British Gymnastics announce 2013 World Championships team
British Gymnastics have announced the male and female gymnasts who will compete at the World Championships in Antwerp.Read more
UK Sport is the nation’s high-performance sports agency. Its mission is to work in partnership to lead sport in the UK to world class success at Olympic and Paralympic games. UK Sport’s strategic investment of National Lottery and Exchequer funds helped British sports and athletes win 65 Olympic and 120 Paralympic medals at London 2012 finishing in third place in the medal tables.
UK Sport is investing a record £355 million in to Great Britain’s summer Olympic and Paralympic athletes to prepare and compete at Rio 2016 and beyond, with the ambition for Britain’s summer Olympic and Paralympic teams to be at least as competitive in Rio 2016 as at London 2012, but with a stronger, more sustainable high performance sport system. It is also investing almost £14million of National Lottery and exchequer funds in to eight Olympic and Paralympic sports preparing for the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics. UK Sport invests on a strict “No Compromise” basis where it will only fund sports which can demonstrate medal potential over an eight year cycle.
This investment is underpinned by dedicated support services to sports including:
Mission Control – a unique performance monitoring process which measures the progress of each sport
Coaching – programmes dedicated to developing our high performance coaching workforce and the next generation of home grown coaching talent
Talent ID – helping sports to identify, confirm and develop talented athletes
Research and Innovation – working with the best in British academia and industry to develop cutting edge competition and training technologies and strategies
Sports Science and Medicine services - delivered through a dedicated Institute network.
UK Sport also invests £27million of National Lottery income in to bidding for and staging world class sport to the UK though its Gold Events Series which is targeting 70 events by 2019 to help build a strong legacy from London 2012. Events already secured include the 2017 World Athletics and IPC Athletics Championships to be staged in the London Olympic Stadium and the 2015 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships at the Hydro Arena in Glasgow.
For more information visit the UK Sport website.
- ⛷ | For those who weren't up at 4.30... Dave Ryding put down two excellent runs in the men's slalom to earn a 9⃣t… t.co/gmexNcW1lG
- ⛷ | No medal for Dave Ryding, but a massive performance from The 🚀 leaves him in 9⃣th place in the men's slalom 👏… t.co/HQKmhlusE4
- ⛷️ | Dave Ryding puts down a superb second run! He skis into 1⃣st position with 1⃣2⃣ more competitors to go.... 🔥… t.co/JFrjkjjPFM
- ⛷ | Dave Ryding is due any minute in the second & final run of the men's slalom at #PyeongChang2018 A reminder t… t.co/NPFYwBc0Gk
- Dave Ryding will compete in the second run of the slalom in just under an hour. He’s currently sitting in 1️⃣3️⃣t… t.co/GHJqWjtI7w