Congratulations on receiving your National Lottery funding!
You are one of thousands of good causes across the UK doing fantastic things with money raised by National Lottery players.
It is very important you share the good news about your funding and let the public know they are helping such a fantastic project like yours make a positive difference in the community.
As a very minimum you should:
- Thank National Lottery players on social media
- Issue a press release to your local media announcing your National Lottery grant and thank National Lottery players
- Place The National Lottery logo in a prominent position on your website
NB – Please always refer to The National Lottery (not the Lottery!)
To help you promote your project and the great work you do we’ve put together these handy resources for you to use.
Promoting yourself on social media is a brilliant opportunity to generate publicity and support for your project. Social media is a great and effective way to showcase your project as it is free and easy to use. We have provided some template social posts to use across your platforms, as well as Twitter headers and social media assets including gifs and buttons.
Our top tips:
- Create content – pictures, short videos and/or infographics are a great way of bringing your project to life and sharing the stories of the people who benefit. People engage more with videos and images than just words!
- Always encourage people to share your posts so you reach as many people as possible.
- Remember to say your funding was made possible by The National Lottery and thank players using the #NationalLottery
- Tag the National Lottery Good Causes in all your posts:
If you need help setting up a social media account or want to talk through an idea for content, please contact the National Lottery social team by emailing: email@example.com and they will be able to assist you.
THE NATIONAL LOTTERY DIGITAL ASSETS
THE NATIONAL LOTTERY LOGO
We will supply you with The National Lottery logo to put on your website, or social networking pages such as Facebook and Twitter. Download The National Lottery logo here
ISSUING A PRESS RELEASE
Any publicity you undertake should help to raise awareness of your project and support from your local newspapers, websites, TV and radio stations will really help to bolster your work. We have provided a template press release you can tailor to send to media.
If your organisation already has a media department they should be well prepared for issuing statements but it would be helpful if all press releases could include a mention of The National Lottery and a thank you to National Lottery players - especially in the quotes as this is the area most likely to be picked up by the media.
When contacting the media, you should ensure you have the following:
- Our press release about your project: including why you received National Lottery Funding.
- Photographs: preferably electronically.
- Spokespeople: with good knowledge of what you do with your National Lottery funding -they should also be briefed about the impact of the work you do.
- Human interest stories/case studies: this could be a visitor/beneficiary/user who can bring the project’s impact to life.
Download our template press release here.
CONTACTING THE MEDIA
You are probably already very familiar with your own local media and will have journalist contacts of your own. But to assist you we have provided a list of useful media contacts. Should you require any further assistance please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
In addition, we would like to hear of any impactful case studies of people who have benefited from your work or other interesting angles to your project. We may be in touch with you to see how we can promote the story on our channels or through our national media contacts. Contact us via our Press Office email or social channels.